- Visit and talks in New Zealand, July 2015 for ANZCA 2015 in Queenstown, and to Wellington to meet with the Ako Aotearoa Tertiary eLearning Reference Group.
Visits and Talks in Australia
- University of Technology, Sydney
Workshop “Networked Learning Practices”, University of Technology Sydney, Australia: Wednesday August 20, 2014. 2-5pm. Hosts: Shirley Alexander and Simon Buckingham Shum.
- University of South Australia, Adelaide
- Short talk for opening of the UniSA HE Educators Network. Event 3:30-5, talk at 4pm, Thursday, August 21.
- Public presentation, “E-learning practice and culture: From experiment to mainstream”, August 22, 2014. Announcement and Podcast of talk: http://podcast.unisa.edu.au/media/ltu/CarolineHaythornthwaite.mp4 [may take a little time to download]
- University of Canberra
- Distinguished visitor, Week of August 25-29, 2014 – lectures and presentations on virtual communities and social networks. Host: Mathieu O’Neil.
- Public presentation “Working with the Crowd: Engaging Participation in Online Crowds and Communities”, August 26, National Library of Australia
- Workshop, full day, Wednesday 27 August 2014. Structural Approaches to Online Communities and Networks. The News and Media Research Centre.
Work in progress
- Learning Analytics for the Social Media Age.
- SSHRC Insight grant 2013-2018.PI: Anatoliy Gruzd; Co-PI: Caroline Haythornthwaite; Collaborator: George Siemens.
- Handbook of E-learning Research, second edition (SAGE), in progress.
- Editors: Caroline Haythornthwaite, Richard Andrews, Jude Fransman and Eric Meyers. Expected publication 2015.
- ‘Crowdsourcing the curriculum: Redefining e-learning practices through peer-generated approaches’ (submitted). Drew Paulin & Caroline Haythornthwaite.
- For special issue of The Information Society on Connecting Fields: Information, Learning Sciences and Education, editors: June Ahn & Ingrid Erickson.
- HICSS 49 – January 2016 – minitracks
- Social Networking and Communities; Social Media and Learning. .
Learning Analytics Summer Institute (LASI’14)
- Public Event on learning analytics.
- Workshop: Learning Analytics for the Social Media Age. Anatoliy Gruzd, Caroline Haythornthwaite, Drew Paulin, Rafa Absar.
- The workshop included brief introductions by the speakers, and a hands-on component providing instructions and examples of use of a free web-based network analysis tool called Netlytic.
- Currently open access: Special issue of the Journal of Learning and Media, New Media, New Literacies, and New Forms of Learning, 4 (3-4).
- Workshop: Harnessing the Social Web – Communities for Health and Wellness. A Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies Exploratory Workshop, UBC. (Feb. 2013). See the workshop final report in the themed issue of Journal of Medical Internet Research (see also http://socialweb4health.pwias.ubc.ca/final-report-resources).
- October 2014 — Learning with the crowd? New structures, new practices for knowledge, learning, and education. Oxford Internet Institute, Bellwether lecture series.
- August 2014 — Distinguished Visitor to the University of Canberra for a week on virtual communities and social networks. Concepts and Methods Workshop on August 27, 2014, with Robert Ackland, Research School of Social Sciences, Australian National University, and Mathieu O’Neil, Faculty of Arts and Design, University of Canberra. Organizer: Mathieu O’Neil.
- June 30, 2014 – Learning Analytics Summer Institute 2014 – Public Event, Harvard University, Boston, MA. Organizer: Garron Hillaire
- March 4, 2014 – Social Studies of Information. Keynote presentation at the workshop ‘Exploring the Social Studies of Information’, iConference, Berlin, Germany. Organizers: Thomas Haigh and Nadine Kozak.
- November 2, 2013. Expertise on the Move. Keynote presentation, ASIS&T SIG-USE Symposium, Montreal, Que. Organizers: Mega M. Subramaniam and Beth L. St Jean.
- October, 11 2013. Participatory culture: Drawing on the power of crowds and the support of communities. Rob Kling Center for Social Informatics, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN.
- Sept. 17, 2013. Social and technological network effects on citizens and society. Invited presentation, Global Societal Trends and the EU: An ESPAS Expert Seminar (ESPAS: European Strategy and Policy Analysis System, http://europa.eu/espas/), Brussels, Belgium, Sept 17, 2013.
For more, see my publications page.